Objectives & Project Background
Parkwell’s client is a major name in international Financial Services, with an established Investment Management business operating out of the UK. As part of the development of their operations they sought to recruit a Director from either an investment consultancy or pension fund to lead and develop their international presence.
Several leading contenders were already established in the market and able to recruit significant talent, including a handful of direct rivals and leading investment consultancies. Our client sought someone with the ability to take a relatively low-level presence in the area and build that by intelligent deployment of their investment knowledge, contacts and insight.
Key focus for the new recruit involved:
- Strategic development of the business, including oversight of manager performance (process and outcome).
- Responsibility for all aspects of relevant investment strategy for both the Return-Seeking and Liability-Matching portfolios: including overall asset allocation, asset class strategy, manager selection and LDI.
- Production and presentation of formal proposals to relevant stakeholders, and championing inclusion in portfolio.
- Key input to formulation and presentation of strategic proposals to prospective clients.
- Engage with relevant expertise (internal and external) to originate and structure best-in-class investment solutions.
To meet this brief, Parkwell Search and Selection recommended and delivered a pure headhunting service. This involved identifying candidates holding suitably senior posts within investment consultancies, pensions funds and a limited number of investment businesses. Parkwell identified a longlist of 158 individuals, securing meaningful conversations with 37 of them. We formally screened 17, which led us to introduce 7 suitable candidates for meetings with our client. The successful candidate was appointed from a position as Chief Executive of a leading UK pension fund.